Have you ever met a person and wondered, “How the heck are they so on top of everything?!” Today I’m sharing the secret… Maybe they are an Urban Simplicity client!
Okay, probably low odds, but I really am going to tell you five habits of organized people. Make these routines and behaviors part of your everyday life, and you’re sure to be the envy of all your friends.
1. To Do List – I never get tired of extolling the benefits of a To Do list. A good one is the basic secret to good time management – keeping you focused and on task. I say, never work without it!
|Sugar Paper Kraft To Do List |
from Design Darling
2. Regular Maintenance – Once you get some basic organizational systems put into place, maintenance becomes much less overwhelming. Consider the prospect of weeding through your overstuffed closet versus simply stashing that stained shirt into a bag marked donation. Integrating a daily, monthly, and yearly maintenance plan into your lifestyle will make all the difference.
3. One In One Out – I think this should be the golden rule of organization. Every time you bring in a new item, another has to go. So, treat yourself to a new pair of shoes, but make sure to toss the pair that hurt your feet.
4. Home for Everything – People are always lamenting that they don’t know where to put things. Then, of course, they can’t find something when they need it. That equals frustration and lost time searching and wasted money buying duplicate items. Creating a strategic plan for where things “live” in your home is essential.
|A place for everything, and everything in it's place.|
From Pottery Barn
5. Repetition – The beauty of organization is in the simplicity. One way to simplify your life is by taking the guesswork out of it. Determine what tasks you need to accomplish each week, set-up a basic system or steps to get it done, and repeat.
What’s your secret to staying organized?