Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Cut the Souvenir Clutter

The last two weeks in August are vacation time here in New York City. Midtown Manhattan streets are empty and office phones go straight to voicemail.

While you’re traveling later this month, don’t fall into that trap of bringing clutter into your home when you return. You know, the crappy plastic magnets and t-shirts you never wear…

This week, I’m sharing two creative ideas to help you eliminate souvenir clutter and bring home long-lasting memories from your trip instead.

Play the alphabet game. While organizing a client’s paperwork last week, we came across notes from a recent vacation. As opposed to keeping a journal about family travels, they play the alphabet game to capture memories from their trip. At dinner one night toward the end of their vacation, they sit together and make notes of memories that correspond with each letter of the alphabet. You could even type this on your smart phone or iPad to eliminate the paper.

Me in Paris. Note the empty glass.
Make a tradition. The year I was married, I came up with an easy tradition to capture our travel memories. For Christmas each year, I buy my husband one ornament that reminds us of a trip we took that year. For example, last year when we were in Paris, I found a beautiful ornament of Notre Dame Cathedral. Knowing I can capture the memories in a special way compels me to walk right past those souvenir shops.


How do you and your family capture memories from your travels?

2 comments:

  1. I love both of these ideas so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Digital scrapbooking. With today's technology I can take all the digital photos I want and it takes up no room! Then I use Adobe Photoshop and digital elements to create my own digital scrapbook page. Once I've finished a page I can load it up on Shutterfly.com and create 12 x 12 books. I can print them whenever I want and/or share with others. I've taught myself and have become quite proficient and creative in making these pages. And it takes nothing but a camera, laptop, software and time. It takes no papers, embellishments, equipment, tools, or craft room space in your home.

    ReplyDelete